Every moment is worth worshipping Lord Shiva but Shravan month is a bit special. The holy Shravan month is the most auspicious month in the Hindu calendar dedicated to Lord Shiva. The whole universe is charged with divinity and majestic powers. Also, the universe gets filled up with Shiva tattva (elements of Shiva) during Shravan month like in MahaShivratri. Lord Vishnu who operates the universe goes for Yog Nidra this month. So, Lord Shiva takes complete responsibility and operates the universe with his energies. This is the best time to win the grace of almighty and more specifically Lord Shiva. Now, let’s understand the legend behind this great and holy month, its importance in our lives, and know how to worship Lord Shiva in month of Shravan.
Stories behind Shravan month
In this month, Samudra Manthana (churning ocean) for nectar happened between Gods and Devils. So, out of 14 Ratnas (elements) came out of ocean, the first one was Poison (halaa-hal). And the poison could destroy the whole universe. Lord Shiva came and drank all poison to save the world from any danger. Goddess Parvati held his neck which turned into blue, that’s why Lord Shiva is also known as Neelkanth Mahadev. So to pray gratitude, we offer our prayers to Lord Shiva to save us from all dangers, problems. We offer holy water and milk on Shiv Linga so that we can also become pure like him.
Another story is of Devi Parvati who wanted Lord Shiva as her husband. So to please him, she worshipped throughout Shravan month. And after seeing her intense austerity(tapasya), Shiva got pleased and fulfilled her wish. That’s also the reason Shravan is dear to Lord Shiva as this marks the union of Shiva and Shakti.
Another belief is that in Sharvan month, Lord Shiva told stories of Lord Rama to Devi Parvati for the first time. So the name of the month is based on hearing – Shra+van
Importance of Shravan Month and Lord Shiva pooja
- As I have mentioned earlier that Lord Vishnu goes in Yog Nidra this month and Lord Shiva takes his charge to operate the universe. So, all the energies of Tri-God reside in Lord Shiva, and the universe is charged with Shiva tattva.
- Unmarried girls worship Lord Shiva and observe 16 Monday fast (Solah Somvar vrat) to get the desired husband. Goddess Parvati did the same before her marriage and pleased Lord Shiva. So, after that Shiva declared one who worships me like this with full devotion, they will get whatever they want.
- All the days of this month are auspicious, so any good work can be started from any date.
- Due to divine nature of this month, people can get love, health, wealth, prosperity, success, protection, spiritual upliftment by the grace of Shiva and Shakti.
- This is the month in which Lord Shiva offers boon to devotees who surrenders to him and repent for their mistakes. So, in this period one attracts the blessings of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati.
- Feeding cow, poor people during this month opens door to prosperity, peace, and good luck.
- Every little effort made this month can lead a person one step closer to Lord Shiva.
Know HOW TO WORSHIP Lord Shiva in Shravan Month
- Early morning Puja after taking bath is believed to be very beneficial this month.
- Visit a famous (or sidhh) Shiva temple on Monday.
- Shiv linga Puja – offer cold unprocessed milk and water on Shiva Linga by chanting “OM NAMAH SHIVAYA” or any other mantra of Lord Shiva. Offer Panchamrit, Bilva Patra on Shiva Linga.
- Recite mantra over Rudraksha mala or do Mansik Jaap (in mind)
- There are a lot of Mantras, but I have listed which can be adopted by everyone.
- Mahamrityunjaya Mantra for getting over fear and untimely death. Read more in detail about this mantra here for meaning, importance, and benefits of Mahamrityunjaya Mantra
- Panchakshara Mantra – for all and everyone. “OM NAMAH SHIVAYA”
- Rudra Gayatri Mantra – to get blessings of Gayatri Devi and Rudra ie Lord Shiva
- Shiva Tandav Stotram – Read in detail for Raavan composed Shiv Tandav which is very dear to Shiva
- People also perform Havan reciting any of the above Mantras
- The only focus should be to absorb high energies and connect with Kailash pati Shiva.
NOT TO DO during Shravan Month
Lord Shiva gets happy very easily when you do Puja properly and takes Rudra form also when anything goes wrong in Puja. So here are the things which you should avoid.
- Sindur(kum kum), Tulsi and Shankh are strictly prohibited in Lord Shiva Puja.
- Try adapting the Sattvik lifestyle during this month and avoid Tamsic food or drinks completely.
- Don’t kill snakes as they are very dear to Lord Shiva.
- Don’t watch or talk also in negative direction as it will attract negative energies.
- Anything inauspicious should be avoided in any form like Mansa, Vaacha, Karmana – (thoughts, speech or actions).
Important DATES of Shravan month 2020
This month usually falls between July and August but dates may vary depending on the geographical region. Northen states(Rajasthan, UP, MP, Punjab, Himachal, Bihar, etc) have 15 days earlier than Southern states (Gujarat, Maharashtra, Goa, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu)
|Northern states||Southern states|
|6th July – Monday – Shravan starts||21st July- Tuesday- Shravan starts|
|13th July – Monday||27th July – Monday|
|20th July – Monday||3rd August- Monday|
|27th July – Monday||10th Aug – Monday|
|3rd August- Monday – Shravan ends||17th Aug – Monday|
|19th Aug – Wednesday- Shravan ends|
Other important dates and festivals during Shravan month
- Guru Purnima (5th July) – Guru (master) is worshipped on this day and Guru principles(Guru tattva) are highly energized as compared to any other day. This marks the start of holy Shravan month. So, not to forget the first Guru or Adi Guru should always be worshipped this day.
- Mangal Gouri Pooja (all tuesday) – one can perform this puja every Tuesday dedicated to Devi Parvati to seek her blessings. Observing fasts on Tuesday and worship Gouri mata is very fruitful.
- Hariyali Teej (23rd July,2020) – Married woman do this puja for the longevity of their husband.
- NagPanchami (25th July,2020) – Snakes are worshipped by offering Milk as people seek their blessings and get freed from the fear of snake.
- Shravan Putrada Ekadashi (30th July)- Prayers and offers to Lord Vishnu to get son as blessings in the life of married couple.
- Rakshabandhan (3rd Aug) – The very popular festival to celebrate the relation between brother and sister
Here are the pictures of Shiv Linga and Shiv Parivar Moorti at my home 🙂
For sure, Lord Shiva blesses each and everyone in abundance during this month.
So, let us open our hearts and welcome the Holy Month SHRAVAN and seek blessings of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati.
OM NAMAH SHIVAYA _/_
These are the earlier posts I have written from my Kailash Mansarovar Yatra series. So, please go through them and feel the mystic journey!
- Planning and preparation for the trip to Mount Kailash.
- Arrival at Mansarovar lake- first mystic experience.
- Complete information about Mansarovar, my experience of parikrama and dip in holy Mansarovar lake.
- First day of trek from Yam dwar to Derapuk to reach abode of Shiva.
- Second and toughest day of trek to reach 19500 ft at Dolma La pass
- Third and the last day of trek and coming back to home with tons of memories of Kailash
PC- apart from my home pics, I have taken all from Google. Thank you!
Keep smiling and stay healthy 🙂
Feel free to reach out for any feedback, suggestions and I request you to spread the knowledge by sharing the article.